Sinus infections are one of the most common maladies to strike during the cold fall and winter months. You’ll know it’s a sinus infection when your head feels heavy and you have a painful headache that won’t go away. Sinus infections are typically treated with antibiotics. However, you may want to avoid antibiotics for any number of reasons. These home remedies for sinus infection will clear up a sinus infection quickly.
Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound that helps to promote general health and clear up infections. In addition to the remedy described below, you can add turmeric to food for a flavor boost that helps fight your sinus infection.
- Cut off 2 pieces of turmeric root that are each about 2 inches long.
- Put it in a blender.
- Add 1 whole peeled lemon to the blender with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Add about 1/2 cup of water to start.
- Blend and add water to reach a smoothie consistency.
You may add a banana if you want to mask the flavor of the turmeric.
Apple Cider Vinegar
As one of the oldest and most reliable home remedies for sinus infection, apple cider vinegar can make you feel better overnight! This mixture is a tasty way to mask the acidic taste of apple cider vinegar while still enjoying its health benefits.
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 8 ounces of warm water.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Drink immediately. You can do this once in the morning and once in the evening.
If you can stomach it, taking 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar 3 times per day can clear up a sinus infection quickly.
A nasal salt rinse is one of the most recommended home remedies for sinus infection. You have everything you need for it in your pantry and medicine cabinet.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt into 1 cup of warm water.
- Add a pinch of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide.
- Use an ear bulb syringe to draw up a bulb full of the rinse.
- Tip your head down over the sink or in the bath.
- Stick the tip of the bulb up into one nostril and press to release it into your sinuses.
- Repeat on the other side.
Do this each night during a shower for overnight sinus relief.
Oregano oil may not be as easy to find as other home remedies for sinus infection, but it is a great oil to keep in your medicine cabinet. It can be used for many purposes, not just sinus infections!
- Add 1 teaspoon of oregano oil to 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Close your eyes and lean over the pot.
Inhale deeply to get the healing properties deep into your sinuses. Make sure your eyes are closed, as oregano oil can be very irritating to eyes.
Noni juice is a drink that you can buy at most health foods or natural foods stores. It is not a great-tasting beverage, but it will work very quickly to get rid of a sinus infection.
- Pour a shot glass full of noni juice.
- Pinch your nose and drink it quickly.
Repeat 3 times per day for fast relief from sinus infections.
Known for its antifungal properties, garlic is one of the most versatile home remedies for sinus infection or any type of infection. In addition to the remedy described here, you can eat more garlic in your food.
- Remove 2 cloves of garlic from a bulb of garlic.
- Stick both cloves into the back of your mouth near your molars.
- Grind the garlic cloves down to release the juices.
- Swallow the garlic cloves.