Scabies is a scary sounding skin disease that is very uncomfortable. When the bacteria scabies comes into contact with your skin, it is usually from close contact with another human. Your skin becomes red, dry, and itchy. Scabies mites burrow under the skin, lay eggs, and cause infections. Prompt treatment is the key to eliminating scabies. Try these home remedies for scabies.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is naturally antibacterial and antifungal, so it’s a very effective natural remedy for many maladies. Many practitioners believe that it works by getting into the skin and suffocating scabies mites.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil into a small cup or bowl.Dab a q-tip into the tea tree oil.
- Gently dab the q-tip onto bites. Using a different q-tip, apply tea tree oil to itchy areas.
- Repeat every other day to kill scabies quickly. Stop treatment if your skin becomes irritated.
Turmeric is a natural plant that kills scabies. This remedy makes use of another entry on our list of home remedies for scabies, neem oil. Repeat this remedy as often as you would like prior to bath time.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to a small bowl. Add drops of neem extract until the mixture forms a smooth paste.
- Dab the mixture onto areas of your skin that are affected by scabies, including itchy areas that have not yet been bitten. Let the mixture dry.
- Keep the mixture on your skin for 1 hour.
- Bathe or shower as normal, ensuring that you wash off all of the turmeric mixture.
Cayenne has been used for over almost 500 years in the treatment of scabies, making it one of the most reliable treatments for scabies. Because it’s so hot, cayenne pepper burns scabies mites and kills them. If you have sensitive skin, try this remedy with a smaller amount of cayenne pepper before trying it as written here.
- Stir 1 cup of cayenne pepper into bath water until the pepper is evenly dispersed throughout the water.
- Sit in the bath and ensure that all areas affected by scabies are covered with water. Stay in the tube until the water gets cold. If your skin starts to get irritated get out right away.
- Drain the bath and clean out the cayenne pepper. Rinse the cayenne pepper off of your body with cool water.
- Repeat as needed until you stop getting new scabies bites.
Neem oil is a safe vegetable oil that is often used as an insecticide. It kills insects without causing any negative side effects in humans. Neem oil prevents scabies from reproducing, which can significantly shorten the amount of time you have to suffer from scabies. This makes it one of the most effective home remedies for scabies.
- Dab a cotton ball into a bowl of neem oil. Dab the neem oil onto areas of your body that are affected by scabies.
- Use a new cotton ball for each new part of your body to prevent spreading the infection.
- If you can, use neem soap in the bath or shower until the scabies infection goes away.
While zinc does not directly treat scabies, it is an important part of our home remedies for scabies because it prevents fungal outbreaks and secondary infections. Use this at the same time as other scabies remedies to stay healthy.
- Grind 2 to 4 zinc tablets into a powder using a mortar and pestle. Add water to the zinc until it forms a smooth paste.
- Dab the zinc mixture onto all of the affected areas of your skin.
- Repeat nightly until the scabies infection is gone.