A fever is your body’s response to a toxin or infection that is triggering the immune system. While it is often necessary, it can be very uncomfortable. Leaving a fever unchecked for too long can lead to febrile seizures and severe illness. These home remedies for fever will bring your temperature down and keep you comfortable.
Fevers are often accompanied by profuse sweating, which can throw your body’s electrolyte balance off. This homemade electrolyte drink will keep you hydrated without the sugars and chemicals of drinks like Gatorade.
- Cut 1 lemon and 1 orange in half and then squeeze all the juice into a glass. Add 1 tablespoon of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the fruit juices.
- Fill the rest of the glass with water. Stir to evenly combine everything.
- Drink immediately.
- Repeat throughout the day to stay hydrated.
Keeping a fever away is easy with apple water. This is one of the best home remedies for fever because it keeps your temperature down while keeping you hydrated.
- Peel and remove the core from 3 apples. Cut all 3 apples into slices. Put the apple slices in a deep pan.
- Pour 4 cups of water over the apple slices. Bring the mixture to a simmer on the stove. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the water through a strainer, saving the liquid in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of honey to the apple water.
- Drink the water.
This home remedy for fever is similar to the apple water remedy as raisin water helps to lower your fever and keeps you hydrated. Prepare a large batch of this and keep it around until your fever goes away.
- Pour 7 cups of water in a pan. Chop 3/4 cup of raisins into small pieces and add to the water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer.
- When the mixture has reduced by 1/3 remove the pan from the heat. Strain the raisins out.
- Drink a little bit of the water throughout the day.
Cream of Tartar Tea
Cream of tartar is used to make a fever-reducing tea, making this one of the most effective home remedies for fever.
- Boil 2 & 1/2 cups of water. Let the water cool slightly.
- Stir 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of cream of tartar, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of honey in the water.
- Drink 4 ounces of this tea at a time.
- Repeat throughout the day to stay comfortable.