Coughs are very common and very irritating. A cough is a natural reaction to an irritant in the throat and can happen for many different reasons such as a common cold, flu, viral infection, asthma, and smoking. Before you resort to harsh over the counter medicines, which may cause drowsiness, try these home remedies for cough instead.
Home remedies for coughs that incorporate steam are good for loosening congestion and opening your airways. The following are ways to get steam into your system.
- Use a steam vaporizer.
- Take a steam shower. If this type of shower hurts your skin, turn your shower to full heat and keeping the bathroom door shut. Stay in the bathroom for 10 minutes.
- Boil water and pour it into a basin. With a towel draped on your head, inhale the steam for 5 minutes. Gently pour the boiling water into the basin to avoid splashing.
You can do these home remedies for cough multiple times in a day.
Cayenne is warming and stimulating. Cayenne helps reduce the pain in your chest, often associated with deep coughing and helps soothe cough. Mix the following ingredients:
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of water
Drink this mixture two to three times a day to help relieve coughs.
Home remedies for cough that use lemons are great for loosening mucus and phlegm.
- 1/4 warm water.
- Add 2 tablespoons lemon.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of honey.
Drink this concoction throughout the day to help relieve your cough.
Carrots are packed with many nutrients and vitamins that will help reduce cough symptoms.
- Use four to five carrots to make fresh juice.
- Add water to dilute the juice.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of warm honey.
Drink this juice throughout the day to help relieve your cough.
Home remedies for coughs that use ginger gives you relief from sore throat, non stop coughing, and congestion.
- Crush fresh ginger slices.
- Add to boiled cup of water.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons honey and lemon.
Drink throughout day to help relieve cough.
Onions and Sugar
Onions and sugar tend to make your salivary glands’ secrete, this relaxes your throat and reduces the coughing.
- Slice an onion and put it in a pan.
- Sprinkle sugar on it and turn on low heat.
- After 1/2 an hour, it should be ready.
Take one spoonful every couple of hours.
Tea helps relieve coughs due to the steam it produces and the liquid from tea increases your water circulation, which increases your salivary glands’ production. Adding honey can provide extra benefit as honey stimulating nature helps your salivary glands’ secrete.